Rangers Beat Islanders; Carl Hagelin Returns

Bruce Bennett

Today's New York Rangers notes.

If you watched the first 10 games of the New York Rangers season, you might have found yourself wondering where the on-ice performance the displayed Tuesday against the Islanders has been all season.The Rangers completely carried the play, generated quality scoring chances, and pretty much did just about everything they failed to do through their first 10 games. Here are your morning notes.

Carl Hagelin had a solid comeback, and made a great pass on the game-winning goal. Chris Kreider continued to be a force, and scored his career first power play goal. And speaking of power play goals, Ryan McDonagh added his first career power play goal. For those keeping score at home, that means the Rangers connected twice on the man-advantage. Cam Talbot had another stellar game in goal, and it was one of the more complete performances this team has put together all season.

In what will be the last Rangers-Islanders game played in Nassau Coliseum (barring a postseason matchup) the game lived up to the bill. Plenty of action, a back-and-forth frenetic pace, and the game ending with some bad blood. Some recaps of the action. [Blueshirt Banter] [New York Post] [Daily News] [Blueshirts United] [ESPN NY]

Talbot has looked great in his three starts, but what's bigger for the Rangers, and what will lead a potential turn around, is the return of Henrik Lundqvist. [The Record]

After coming away frustrated from Monday's night Montreal loss and an upheld goal call on an apparent kick, the NHL clarified its rule on the infraction. [New York Post]