Rangers Drop Opener; Power Play In Progress

Christian Petersen

Today's New York Rangers' notes.

The Rangers opened their season last night with a less-than-stellar performance in Phoenix, falling to the Coyotes 4-1. If you stayed up on the East Coast, you saw the Rangers tie the game on a power play goal from Marc Staal (a very pleasant sight) in the second period, but then surrender three straight to the Coyotes. Not the start Alain Vigneault and company were looking for. With that being said, here are the morning notes.

The Rangers will have until Monday to regroup when the team will be in Los Angeles to take on the Kings. In the meantime, read about last night's game. [Daily News] [Blue Shirts United] [Newsday]

One of those things that needs visual evidence to be proven, but after Martin Hanzal laid a big hit on Derek Stepan late in the third, it was Rick Nash who dropped the gloves with the Coyotes forward. [Hockey Fights]

It's something we're going to hear about all season, and something that very well may already be on your radar: the New York Rangers' power play. A look at some of the work the team has been doing to make its man advantages less anemic. [Daily News]

Dominic Moore began his professional hockey career with the Rangers back in 2003. After bouncing around the league, playing for nine teams in nine years, Moore took all of last season off after his wife tragically passed away. With Moore making his return to the NHL, he opened up about being back in the game. [New York Post]

Why the Rangers don't want to abandon every aspect of the John Tortorella regime. [New York Post]

In alumni news, a new postseason award was created in college hockey to honor the game's top goaltender. The award's namesake? One Mike Richter. [Western College Hockey Blog]

Not Rangers related, but oh man, did Patrick Roy ever endear himself to Colorado Avalanche fans everywhere with his postgame antics against the Ducks on Wednesday. Some must-see, Tortorella-DeBoer esque rage. [SB Nation]