FanPost

Photos. How? Where? Why? When? Do I Even Care?

Greetings fellow Bantererers. 50 here. As I was sitting in my rocking chair earlier today, I was thinking that it would be nice if someone would turn my oxygen on everyone knew how to post pictures. I'm going to use an excellent tutorial written by ghtd36 on Rock M Nation, a sister SB Nation site. I made a few changes to keep it current.

The required steps are:

1. Find a photo and save to your computer/device

2. Upload it to a site like photobucket then copy it's web address

3. Paste the web address into your post.

It seems like there's a lot of steps below, but once you know what you're doing you can find then post pictures pretty quickly.

By ghtd36 on Apr 24 2009, 12:00p Edited by BFF50 on Oct 5, 2013 (Used with permission of Rock M Nation)

Today's Lesson: Posting Pictures on the Site:

Let's face it: you're clever. In fact, you're damn clever. Your wit and wisdom knows no bounds. That's why you're on this site: to spread just how funny you are.

(Sure, there are other reasons to post a picture, but just go with it.)

But with great picture-posting power comes great picture-posting responsibility. After all, there are several ways to fail at this.

So follow me, won't you, on a journey to learn how to properly post a photo on Blueshirts Banter (or any other SB Nation site)!

Step 1) Find the perfect photo

Here's a little tip: don't post a photo unless it fits under one of the following three categories:

  • It's funny.
  • It's poignant.
  • It's clever.

But if that time comes when the perfect picture time comes, it's important to find a photo. Personally, I like Google Image Search. It's powerful, and it can find most things. There are many other sites on the Interwebs to find gifs and funny pictures, but Google Image Search is a good place to find.

So, let's say you found the perfect picture or, better yet, the perfect gif (which is an animated picture).

Colbert-in-the-box_medium

Great! Now, on to step two.

Step 2) For the love of God, host the image!

I cannot stress this enough: do not just plug in a URL once you find the image. Not only might it cause your image not to come up, but it's called bandwidth theft (or hotlinking).

Let's just say, for example, that MightMurphy.com was some two-bit operation that paid for its own servers. Those servers can only handle so much bandwidth, so they have to be careful not to use all of it. But if they post a funny picture, and you use that picture directly off of MightMurphy.com, that also steals their bandwidth, since they are powering both the image on their site and the image on your site. It makes you a jerk.

But beyond that, it could cause something like this to be posted instead of your image:

I2swzn_jpg_medium

And trust me, that's the tamest picture that will come up if you hotlink. I've seen terrible, terrible things from hotlinking. Ever heard of goatse? Let's just move on.

Anyways, the point is, you need to host the image somewhere else. Download the picture to your computer (right-click --> save image as...) and set up an account on a site like Photobucket. You can sign up for your own free account on photobucket.com or you can use the account I've already set up there (if other SB Nation blogs are reading this, create your own account for gosh darn's sake)

User name = bsbpix94

Password = Rangers

Click on upload and drag your photo/gif into the upload box.

Ss1_medium

Once done click on view uploads. Move your cursor over the photo you want. See the "gear" in the upper right-hand corner?

Screenshot2013-10-05at24847pm_medium

Put the cursor there and click on edit.

Screenshot2013-10-05at24905pm_medium

Click on Resize.

Screenshot2013-10-05at24931pm1_medium

If the picture is too large (say, over 400 width) put in a number 400 or lower and click on Apply. Then click Save.

Screenshot2013-10-05at24952pm1_medium

Right-click on the image. Select Copy Image Address.

Screenshot2013-10-05at25127pm1_medium

So now, you've uploaded your picture to Photobucket, and you're ready to post! You have your link, and you're ready to go!

Step 3) Insert your link

It's dead simple. You click on this button:

1zd2g7q_medium

You insert your link in the box that pops up...

2898rid_medium

And hit OK.

1okr6a_medium

Ta-da! It's coded and ready to go!

OR IS IT?!? Do NOT forget the very, very important next step.

Step 4) For the love of everything, size the damn image!

Edit: You've already done this step, but this is another way to do it.

This is the biggest mistake that people make: images that are too big or too small. To explain this, we need to break down the coding.

It's very straightforward. "img" indicates that this is, in fact, an image. "src" means source, telling the script where to get the actual image from. And then there's the URL in quotations. Simple, right?

To adjust the size, you need to change either the height or width. For example, if I were to put the above code in and press "Post", it would look like this:

Screen4_medium

Let's say you want it a little bit bigger. You can adjust the height or the weight by changing a little bit of the code. I'll add the phrase "width=300" to the code, as below:

Note the difference, in between the "img" and the "src". Now note the difference in the image.

Screen5_medium

See? It's bigger, because I told the script to make the image 300 pixels wide. Ha! Computers! Fun!

Now you want to make it smaller. Same thing, and while you can still do something like "width=100", I'll use height to explain this one. Just add "height=100" to the coding, like so.

And notice the difference in the image.

Screen6_medium

It's small Colbert! See? Images, and dorkery, can be fun!

Now, please be courteous with the images. Nobody wants to see a 900 pixel-wide picture of Richter1994. OK, that's a bad example, but you get the point.

General rules of thumb for sizing:

-If the image is taller than it is wide, width=250 or height=500 should be your max.

-If the image is wider than it is tall, width=300 is usually a nice measurement.

And one more general courtesy, while I'm on the topic: please put something in the subject line. That way, if you click on the subject line, it will close. That is especially important in long game-day threads, which tend to have a lot of images that can bog down computers. Trust me, people will thank you. (No longer necessary)

Step 5) Use the Preview Button!!!!!

Make sure the image is sized correctly! Large images will slow down the thread!

And now, the final step!

Step 6) Press Post

Yay! You're done! And so is this tutorial. I sure hope you will now enjoy the wonders that is image-posting, and do so responsibly.

Reminders!

Please don't go crazy posting pictures, especially on game threads. Too many pictures slows things down! Be considerate to others. Sometimes the mods may ask you not to post images. Please obey them or you may be slathered with honey and thrown into a bear pit.

BSB Guidelines:

The posting of images is permitted at Blueshirt Banter. DO NOT steal images from others or post items that would violate third party copyrights. Moving images (.gif images) should be used in moderation and should be appropriate. If there are too many moving images in a thread an editor will delete them to allow the thread to reload more smoothly. Use common sense when posting images as to whether or not they are too big, if they are relevant, or if they might offend someone. We also ask our members to please put something in the "subject" line of any images you post so that the images can be collapsed by those who don’t want to view them. In regards to applying common sense when posting images, try to remember that some of our members enjoy Blueshirt Banter from their workplace and when young family members are in the room with them.

Thanks for reading and thanks again to ghtd36 and Rock M Nation. I'll know if I was successful if Richter ever posts a picture!