Ryan Callahan Returns; Rangers In Los Angeles; The Fight Against Fighting

Matt Kartozian-USA TODAY Sports

Today's New York Rangers' notes.

It was a long break in between games, with the Rangers playing their season opener last Thursday, but the team hits the ice again tonight for game number two against the Kings. A lot of stories from over the weekend, so here are your Monday notes.

The captain is back. Ryan Callahan, as was expected, will make his return tonight in Los Angeles. Callahan, who underwent off season shoulder surgery, only missed one game despite the procedure. [Blueshirt Banter]

With Callahan back in the fold, some minor lineup shuffling. [Blueshirts United] Callahan will be back and skating on the third line with Brian Boyle and Taylor Pyatt (for now), and is also expected to see time on both the power play and penalty kill. Aaron Asham will also be in for Jesper Fast on the fourth line.

The biggest roster move over the weekend was J.T. Miller being sent down to Hartford. [Blueshirt Banter] Despite making the team out of camp, it was clear that two of the Rangers' forward spots were plug-ins until Callahan and Carl Hagelin were ready to come back. At this point in their careers, getting consistent playing time is paramount for guys like Miller and Chris Kreider, so a trip to the farm might do him some good.

If you are wondering how the "kids" are doing, both Miller and Kreider had a big hand in the Wolfpack's opening 4-3 win yesterday over the Albany Devils. [The Record]

While there were some noticeable differences in the Rangers style of play in the season opener in Phoenix, one habit the team didn't give up was blocking shots. [New York Post]

Derek Stepan, who missed virtually all of training camp due to prolonged contract negotiations, looked a tick behind in the team's first game. Getting a late start, Stepan is working on finding his timing. [Daily News]

If you didn't see it during last week's opening games, there was a scary moment in a fight between George Parros and Colton Orr. The incident has sparked more debate on if there is a place for fighting in today's game, and a few Rangers sounded off with their takes. [Daily News]

And on the topic of fighting, a poignant, opposing argument from a Rangers pundit. [New York Post]