Rangers Top Kings; Staal's New Role; Quick's Major Gaffe

Victor Decolongon

Today's New York Rangers notes.

What a difference one game can make. The Rangers looked like a completely different team last night in Los Angeles, taking down the Kings 3-1. Brad Richards scored twice, Rick Nash chipped in with two assists, and it was an overall great team effort. Here are your morning notes, with some of the good stuff from the late action on the West coast. And congrats to Alain Vigneault, who picked up his first win as the Rangers coach.

A ton of positives to take from last night's game. A much better Henrik Lundqvist. A much hungrier looking and aggressive forecheck. Oh yeah, and Ryan Callahan returned to action. [Blueshirt Banter] [Blueshirts United] [Daily News]

If you did miss it last night, well... I've been watching hockey for quite some time, and I've never seen a goal like this. Ryan McDonagh with the easiest goal he'll ever score, and Jonathan Quick with a forgettable moment. [SB Nation]

Marc Staal has been a stalwart on the Rangers blue line for several years, and his return to the team helps to bolster a strong New York defense. But under Alain Vigneault, Staal will get a chance to chip in other areas, specifically, the power play. [New York Post]

Once upon a time, Benoit Pouliot was the number four overall pick in the 2005 NHL Draft. On a new team, with the opportunity to make an impact in the top six, Pouliot is trying to make his mark with the Rangers. [Daily News]

From over the weekend, Arron Asham, who made his season debut for the Rangers last night, understand his role and is working hard to stay in the league. [New York Post] And right on queue, Asham tangled in last night's tilt with Kyle Clifford. [Hockey Fights]

In some Metropolitan Division news, the Flyers relieved head coach Peter Laviolette of his duties yesterday. Philadelphia started the season 0-3, and after missing the playoffs last season, the team decided it was time to make a change behind the bench. [ESPN]