Kings Blank Rangers; Balancing Lundqvist And Talbot; Nash Back Tuesday?

Bruce Bennett

Today's New York Rangers notes.

After an exciting 1-0 victory on Saturday night, the Rangers found themselves on the other end of the spectrum Sunday, dropping a tough 1-0 to the Kings at Madison Square Garden. The Rangers certainly weren't without their chances, registering 37 shots on Ben Scrivens, but the closest they'd come to a goal a kick-in from Dominic Moore that was quickly waived off. There is a lot to talk about from this weekend, so here are your morning notes.

The Rangers played two games this weekend, and scored one goal. Sure, they managed to turn that lone tally into two points, but kind of production isn't going to get you anywhere. And for as well as Scrivens and Carey Price played, the Rangers are going to need a find a way to get the puck in the back of the net. Let's just say, it's nice that some offensive help is on the way. Recaps of Sunday night's game. [Daily News] [Blueshirt Banter] [NY Post] [The Record] [ESPN NY] [Blueshirts United]

All indications are that Rick Nash will return to the Rangers lineup this week. Whether it's Tuesday against Boston, or Thursday in Dallas. [Rangers Rants]

Cam Talbot recorded his first career shutout Saturday night, as the rookie goaltender continues to impress in his backup role. [NY Post] A Broadway Hat-worthy performance.

Henrik Ludnqvist, who was benched Saturday in favor of Talbot, isn't concerned about his coach's decision. [NY Post] A few people definitely tried to pin Talbot's start to Alain Vigneault's comments regarding the "routine save" Lundqvist let in last week against the Devils. Vigneault has already made clear he wants Talbot to play 15-to-22 games this season, and with a game Sunday night against Los Angeles, Lundqvist won't have to play a back-to-back. And, most importantly, Talbot put on another show in Montreal, and his consistent high level of play is the biggest reason he continues to see time.

Michael Del Zotto was a healthy scratch Saturday night in Montreal, and Sunday at home against the Kings, with Justin Falk getting the start in his place. [Rangers Rants] A short while after that decision was announced, Renaud Lavoie tweeted speculation a trade might be on the way.

While Nash's concussion and subsequent recovery have received all the headlines, Taylor Pyatt is also progressing after suffering a concussion of his own. [NY Post]

After a slow start, the Rangers are well on their way to adapting to Vigneault's style of play. When Nash does return, the team needs to kick it into another gear. [Daily News]

More from Blueshirt Banter: