Lundqvist and Talbot continue stellar stretch; Rangers Olympic chances

Martin Rose

Today's New York Rangers notes.

Happy Monday, folks. If you consider Friday night part of the weekend (which I do), the Rangers just had themselves a perfect, four-point weekend. In what's become a pretty steady formula for Rangers success, the team got some solid goaltending, timely goals, and contributions from their defense. There's a lot to go over from this weekend, so here are your morning notes.

Cam Talbot played his college hockey at Alabama-Huntsville, close to Nashville, where his great run continued on Saturday night. [Daily News]

Henrik Lundqvist, who has played at least 62 games in each of the last six full seasons, will be getting more nights of this year. [NY Post]

Posting his second consecutive road shutout of the season (the second Rangers goalie to do that in the last 40 seasons; the other? Steve Valiquette), Talbot has proven himself a solid option for the Rangers. [The Record]

The Rangers are still a gritty defensively team, only now, they're going about it differently. [Blueshirts Blog]

Despite getting less playing time, Lundqvist understands it's all part of the plan, and likes the way Talbot has been playing. [Rangers Rants]

Making his return to the lineup on Friday in Dallas, Alain Vigneault said he had no complaints about the play of Michael Del Zotto. [NY Post]

David Poile, the Predators GM, is also serving the same role for Team USA for this winter's Olympic Games in Sochi. On Saturday, he talked about Ryan Callahan, Ryan McDonagh, Derek Stepan, and Chris Kreider, who are all apparently on Team USA's radar to varying degrees. [Rangers Rants]

After some early season growing pains, it looks like the Rangers are finally assuming the offensive identity its new coach is trying to instill. [NY Post]

In a rare moment he chose to speak with the media, Rangers owner James Dolan provided some insight into a number of topics about the team. [SB Nation]

Talbot is playing well, and no one is saying otherwise, but Lundqvist is still Lundqvsit, and the top dog. [Blueshirt Banter]

It's that time of the year again. Thanksgiving (and Hannukah!), cold weather, and Rangers dads! [Blueshirts Blog]

The NHL's new playoff format is ridiculous, writes Larry Brooks. [NY Post]