Rangers Down Blue Jackets; Dubinsky, Gaborik Opine On Time In NY

Kirk Irwin

Today's New York Raners notes.

In what was a mini reunion of sorts, the Rangers visited the Blue Jackets (or as I like to call them, Rangers South) Thursday night, and came away with a 4-2 victory. After a big win the night before against the Penguins, this was certainly a trap game of sorts, especially with a game against Florida coming this weekend. But two goals from Carl Hagelin, another goal from the captain Ryan Callahan, and a stellar performance in net from Cam Talbot led the Rangers to their second straight win, and their fifth in the last six games. The Rangers are back at the .500 mark, and for the ninth consecutive game, the Rangers allowed just two or fewer goals. Here are your morning notes.

I don't want get too much into Thursday night's win, but a few thoughts. Ryan McDonagh, who wasn't playing up to his own very high standards early in the season, is back. McDonagh may the best defenseman in the league with the puck in his own zone under duress. It's just beautiful to watch. Also, can't stress how important it is for the Rangers to feel comfortable with (and for good reason) inserting Talbot in to give Lundqvist some rest. Here are a few recaps from last night's action. [Blueshirt Banter] [Daily News] [ESPN NY] [NY Post] [Blueshirts United]

There are plenty of former Rangers on the Blue Jackets roster. But two of the more recent ones—Brandon Dubinsky and Marian Gaborik‚—spoke about their time in New York before Thursday's game. [Rangers Rants]

After an inconsistent start, Wednesday night's win against the Penguins was vital for Alain Vigneault. [NY Post]

Rick Nash did not make the trip to Columbus, and the status of the Rangers all-star forward is still very much unknown. [ESPN NY]

Derek Dorsett, and the role of the agitator. [Blueshirt Banter]

Another day, another look at the Rangers-Oilers trade rumors. [ESPN NY]

More from Blueshirt Banter: