The grit question; Vigneault unmoved by players meeting

Bruce Bennett

Today's New York Rangers notes.

I keep telling myself the Rangers have seven more games left on the current homestand (fact), and that they have a chance to turn things around (technically fact, although based in hope). Tuesday night, the Rangers will get another crack at winning their first game in this nine game stretch at Madison Square Garden as they'll take on the Nashville Predators. The Rangers previously defeated Nashville this season 2-0, bolstered by the strong play in net of Cam Talbot. The Tuesday night game marks the first in a stretch of three games that have to be looked at as very "winnable" as Columbus and Calgary will follow up. In short, the Rangers absolutely need to start racking up points, and Tuesday night marks the beginning of a stretch when it might be a bit easier to do so. Here are your morning notes.

The biggest news from Monday was the Ranger's afternoon announcement that the team recalled Arron Asham from Hartford, and sent J.T. Miller back down to the Wolfpack. [Blueshirt Banter] There's been questions about the Rangers 'grit' also season. But what my colleague Joe said on Monday, and rings true about this team (and has for a number of years now) is it needs to find a way to put the puck in the back of the net more consistently, plain and simple. I don't see how grit solves that problem.

Earlier on Monday, we asked if it was time for the Rangers to shake things up. [Blueshirt Banter] Clearly, Glenn Sather is keeping up with the Banter.

When Brandon Prust left New York, he took with him the energy and work ethic, and the Rangers haven't been the same since, writes Larry Brooks. [NY Post]

After the Rangers fell to the Capitals on Sunday, the players held a closed door meeting after the game, but Alain Vigneault said the true testament to any kind of turnaround is scene more on the ice. [Eye On Hockey] I couldn't agree more with Vigneault. Meet as much as you want; meet twice a day. None of that matters until the on-ice product shows any sign of change. The Rangers will get another shot to show signs of life Tuesday night.