Inside the Division 12/12 Everything is Terrible

Cally. :( - Bruce Bennett

And you should feel terrible.

Marc Staal has a concussion, Ryan Callahan is going to miss 4-6 weeks, the last the second to last Ranger to score a goal was Benoit Pouliot, and the Rangers can't score. That sounds like the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse to me. Soon I expect the streets to run red with blood and children to start coughing out locusts in the middle of the night or however that story goes. Locusts are in there right? I'm pretty sure frogs make an appearance. Or is it toads? Toads are more menacing than frogs if you ask me... that Kermit guy has really done some great work for the reputation of frogs.

For those Rangers' fans that are wondering what the most important moment of this season is, look no further. This is it. The club has just lost three straight, including two to Metropolitan Division rivals just ahead and behind them, and have lost their captain and alternate captain to long-term injury. I'm not a big fan of labeling games this early in the season as "must win" games but tonight's tilt against the Blue Jackets is, in my opinion, a "we had better win or we're kinda ****ed" kinda game.

Let's take a look at the standings of the Metropolitan Division and where the Rangers currently stand now that they've fallen back below the .500 mark.

Team

GP

OTL

PTS

Penguins

32

21

10

1

43

Capitals

31

17

12

2

36

Hurricanes

32

13

13

6

32

Rangers

32

15

16

1

31

Devils

32

12

14

6

30

Blue Jackets

31

13

15

3

29

Flyers

31

13

15

3

29

Islanders

32

9

18

5

23

So the Rangers now find themselves in fourth place in the division without Callahan, without Staal, and with a cobbled-together blueline that will now include Dylan McIlrath.There are big questions about the team's defense, toughness, goal scoring depth, and passion... the next ten games or so could very well define the entire season for the Rangers. I don't know about you guys, but for the first time in a long time I am more pessimistic than optimistic. Let's hope that I am wrong about the team (I often find that I am) and that the Rangers can rally despite being shorthanded and tie together some wins because things are starting to look desperate.

Now that I've thoroughly depressed everyone, including myself, let's dive into our links for the week.

Now, I don't often like to feed the negativity fire around here but I let my true feelings about the team be known for a reason. Everyone knows that we're all upset about the team and where they are right now. We are all aware that things are now, in a word, desperate. Emotions are running high, skins are getting thin, and people are lashing out. I want to encourage you all to treat one another with patience, respect, and courtesy. The last people to be frustrated with are your fellow Rangers fans, especially if they are clever and sexy enough to be members of Blueshirt Banter. I've noticed two disturbing trends around here; people not feeling welcome here at Blueshirt Banter and people growing exhausted with those that look at the Rangers and the current roster in the most negative of perspectives. You're allowed to be negative. You're allowed to have your opinion... but let's not nauseate one another by repeating the obvious and by failing to enter meaningful discussions about the team we all love. Don't keep repeating how disgusted, embarrassed, and furious you are. I promise you that we know exactly how you feel. If you guys have any questions or comments about this stuff please let me know them in the comments or by emailing me. Let me know how to make things better if you feel that things are out of hand or if there are some disturbing trends that you'd like addressed. Thanks.

Well, there are your links for the week. Please root for everyone in the Metropolitan Division to fall apart because I think we are going to need all the help we can get.

Everybody love everybody (or I'll ban you) and, as always, Let's Go Rangers.