Rangers Vs. Penguins Preview: Rangers Welcome The Injury-Riddled Penguins

Bruce Bennett

After a long layoff, the New York Rangers will finally get back to work tonight as they welcome the injury-riddled Pittsburgh Penguins into MSG.

The New York Rangers will finally get back to playing hockey tonight as they welcome the injury-riddled Pittsburgh Penguins to Madison Square Garden. Just to give you an idea of how much firepower the Penguins are missing, Evgeni Malkin, James Neal, Kris Letang, Brooks Orpik, Paul Martin, Rob Scuderi, and Deyrk Engelland will all be absent from the lineup tonight. The Rangers will also be without captain Ryan Callahan, Marc Staal, Dylan McIlrath and Taylor Pyatt as well.

Alain Vigneault elected to sit Taylor Pyatt tonight in favor of gritty forward Arron Asham. With the Penguins missing most of their skill up front, you can bet that they will be looking to grind out a win tonight. However, never underestimate the power of Sidney Crosby. He has the ability to single handily change the outcome of a game, and the Rangers need to be mindful of him tonight as well. Henrik Lundqvist will get his season high seventh straight start, while it's expected that Marc-Andre Fleury will start for the Penguins.

The full lineup for tonight's game can be found below.

VS. Pit

New York Rangers (16-17-1) vs Pittsburgh Penguins (24-10-1)
Madison Square Garden - New York, NY - 8:00 PM
Television: NBCSN, TSN2 | Radio: ESPN NY 98.7 |
Opponent's Blog: PensBurgh

Projected Lineup:

Chris Kreider - Derek Stepan - Rick Nash
Brad RichardsDerick Brassard - Mats Zuccarello
Carl Hagelin - Dominic Moore - Derek Dorsett
Benoit Pouliot - Brian Boyle - Arron Asham

Ryan McDonagh - Anton Stralman
Michael Del Zotto - Dan Girardi
John Moore - Justin Falk

Henrik Lundqvist
Cam Talbot

Scratches/Injuries: Marc Staal (concussion), Ryan Callahan (MCL sprain), Taylor Pyatt (healthy), Dylan McIlrath (healthy).