Rangers News: J.T. Miller recalled, Dylan McIlrath and Arron Asham re-assigned to Hartford

USA TODAY Sports

Hours before the league-wide roster freeze goes into effect, the Rangers made a few transactions.

At midnight on Thursday, an NHL roster freeze goes into effect through Dec. 27. Hours before that no-movement period begins, the Rangers made a few transactions, announcing the team has recalled J.T. Miller from Hartford, and re-assigned both Dylan McIlrath and Arron Asham.

Miller has skated in 17 games for the Rangers this season, but the former first round pick has been back and forth between New York and Hartford, as this marks the third time this season he's been recalled from the AHL. Playing for the Wolfpack, Miller has register 7 goals and 2 assists in 9 games this season, and with the Rangers struggling to generate any offense, Miller should be expected to find his way right into the lineup come Friday against the Islanders.

On the other end of this transaction, McIlrath had finally sniffed his first NHL action since being selected 10th overall by the Rangers in 2010. The rugged defenseman cracked the lineup twice in his brief NHL stint, including registering his first career fight. The move also brings the Rangers back down to 7 defenseman on the roster, while there's still no update on a timetable for the return of Marc Staal.

It's been a tough stretch for Asham, who has been in-and-out of the lineup for New York, and has only played in 6 games for the Rangers this season.

There's still about six hours between now and when the roster freeze goes into effect, meaning more moves could still be on the way. During the week-long freeze, teams can still recall minor league players under an emergency basis, but that doesn't mean a trade might not be coming in the next few hours or so.