FanPost

My Plan For Fixing the Rangers By the End of This Summer

While it is too early to call it quits on the 2013-2014 season, we have been exposed to a slew of deficiencies and errors in this team's make-up that has prevented it from becoming a strong team that plays consistently under Alain Vigneault's new system. I have a 10 step solution that I think would remedy the issues with this team and hopefully create a strong division leader for the next few years.

Step 1: Fire Glen Sather

Glen gave us a very mediocre run here in New York and it is a oddity that he is still here as GM. He has made some good moves and some bad moves, but he will always be remembered for the failures he had in signing free agents. To this day, other than Dan Girardi, the Rangers still haven't made a beneficial free agent signing, and most of that should fall on Sather's decision making. For any of the next steps to actually happen, Sather needs to be fired.

Step 2: Buy Out Brad Richards

Yes, yes, you've heard this multiple times; Brad Richards needs to be bought out. While I was one of the people who thought he deserved a second chance under AV, I still thought he would have no choice but to be bought out this offseason. Richards has been having a decent season to date and has finally found his game, but it has come too late and with the Rangers looking to improve in the free agent market this summer, he will need to go to free up cap space. Sorry Brad, there is no other way.

Step 3: Resign Ryan Callahan

Cally needs to be resigned. Not much more to say here other than that I don't think he will ask for much over 4.5 million which should be okay.

Step 4: Let Pyatt, Pouliot walk.

Pretty simple here. They don't do anything (especially in Pyatt's case) so let them go.

Step 5: Draft Brendan Perlini

If the Rangers end up with a top 10 pick, they should jump all over Perlini. The kid is a pure goal scorer and has the skills to develop into a star. "Perlini is a lethal combination of speed, puck skills, and hockey sense which allow him to make dynamic plays in all three zones. He plays a high puck possession game and thrives when the puck in on his stick." (Eliteprospects.com). He is tall at 6'3 and has a decent build for a youngster at 195 lbs which he will certainly build on once he becomes a pro.

Step 6: Resign Dominic Moore, Anton Stralman, Chris Kreider, Mats Zuccarello, Dany Kristo, Justin Falk, John Moore and Derick Brassard.

These guys are integral pieces to the Rangers future and have played well this year (excluding Brassard and J. Moore, both of whom are still young and developing).

Step 7: Sign Milan Michalek (4.5 mil), Mason Raymond (1.5 mil), and Mikhail Grabovski(3 mil) at a combined salary of about 9 million.

Step 8: Trade Michael Del Zotto and Ryan Borque for negotiating rights with Cody Franson.

Then sign Franson for 3 million.

Rangers cap is now $60,117,875 out of $71,100,000 leaving $10,982,125 of space to use on a top pairing defenseman.

Step 9: Trade Dan Girardi for prospects and picks

Girardi is probably one of the best success stories this team has had in recent years, but as the team adapts to AV's system, his shot blocking game becomes obsolete. That doesn't mean anyone else won't take him. As an extremely valuable shutdown defenseman, he could demand a high premium in the trade market. He could easily bring in a first round pick and a high risk prospect or a second round pick and a more developed defensive prospect.

Step 10: Sign Marek Zidlicky to a $4.5 million contract.

Zidlicky is a right handed shot who can really launch lasers. He plays a strong two way game and should provide some experienced stability to the Rangers young blueline which has been a little shaky this year. He would replace Girardi and then some, finally giving this team a power play cannon from the blue line.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have worked all of this out using capgeek.com so here is the project roster:

CAPGEEK.COM ROSTER

FORWARDS
Rick Nash ($7.800m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Milan Michalek ($4.500m)
Mats Zuccarello ($1.150m) / Mikhail Grabovski ($3.000m) / Chris Kreider ($1.501m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Derick Brassard ($3.700m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.500m)
Mason Raymond ($1.500m) / J.T. Miller ($0.894m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
Danny Kristo ($0.827m) / Dominic Moore ($1.000m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m) / Marek Zidlicky ($4.500m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Cody Franson ($2.500m)
John Moore ($0.851m) / Anton Stralman ($1.700m)
Justin Falk ($1.024m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($8.500m)
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)

BUYOUTS
Wade Redden ($0.000m)
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,641,625; BONUSES: $350,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $5,458,375

The remaining money can be used for whatever else the team needs to do before the 2015 trade deadline.

Comments? Questions?