Rangers drop Wild; Staal progessing; Parise and his respect for Tortorella

Jim McIsaac

Today's New York Rangers notes.

Back with another edition of Monday notes. Watching the Rangers on Friday and Sunday, it looked like two completely different teams. Suffice to say, even when taking into account a really poor Minnesota effort, if the Rangers play like they did in that win, more positive results will follow.

Three Stars of the Weekend

Number three: Ryan McDonagh After registering a minus-two against the Islanders, McDonagh responded by shutting down one of the league's best forwards and his USA teammate in Zach Parise. He also recorded an assist again Minnesota, and was instrumental on the game-winning goal.

Number two: Derick Brassard I had the play of the weekend all wrapped up and ready to go, but Brassard forced my hand with a brilliant individual effort leading to an assist. On the weekend, Brassard recorded three assists, and is really beginning to find his game.

Number one: Benoit Pouliot He picked up a goal in each game this weekend (both on the power play), was active in all three zones, and continued to improve on his recent stretch of solid play.

What you missed

Brassard goes end-to-end, and makes a great pass to Mats Zuccarello, who had just come off the bench, and who finds the back of the net.

Execution and effort wise, Sunday night's game versus the Wild was night-and-day from Friday night's versus the Islanders. The Rangers picked up a big two points, and remain in the thick of the race for the eighth and final playoff spot. Some recaps from the action. [Blueshirt Banter] [Daily News] [ESPN NY] [NY Post] [The Record] [Newsday] [Blueshirts United]

Having already been through the recovery of a major concussion, Marc Staal is taking his time after this latest episode, and is making progress, and has resumed skating. [NY Post] [ESPN NY]

Getting the call Sunday night, and potentially also on Monday, Cam Talbot is ready to man the crease. [NY Post]

Struggling to find any consistence in Madison Square Garden, the Rangers lack confidence on home ice. [Newsday]

When it was declared there was "no way" Zach Parise was heading to the Rangers in free agency, the all-star forward called John Tortorella to apologize. [NY Post]

The Rangers released their Stadium Series jerseys on Friday, with Dan Giradi kick-starting his acting career. [SB Nation]

After clawing back from another two goal deficit on Friday, the Rangers were unable to hold a lead and dropped a 5-3 game to the Islanders. [Blueshirt Banter] [Daily News] [NY Post] [The Record] [ESPN NY] [Newsday]

Also from Friday, Derek Dorsett turned 27, scored a goal, and made funny faces at Kyle Okposo. [Blueshirt Banter]

In This Article

Teams