New York Rangers news: Cam Talbot to get third straight start in Washington

Bruce Bennett

After playing the final two games of a long Rangers' homestand, Cam Talbot will start again Friday night in Washington.

Alain Vigneault has repeatedly said making his decision in goal comes down to winning one game. On Friday night, Vigneault has made the decision Cam Talbot gives his team the best chance to win, as the rookie goaltender will get his third consecutive start.

Per Larry Brooks, this is the first time since early in the 2006-2007 season that Lundqvist has been a healthy backup for three consecutive starts. Lundqvist told reporters after practice he did not expect a change in the lineup, and Vigneault said it "made sense to come back with [Talbot]." Opposite Talbot will be Philipp Gubauer for the Capitals, in what will be a match up of two backups.

In other news from practice, Marc Staal skated again, and said it's not out of the question he plays on the five-game road trip. Ryan Callahan also skated by himself after the majority of players cleared out, in another welcome sign.

SB Nation Featured Video