New York Rangers news: Conor Allen recalled as Anton Stralman injured

Ethan Miller

After Anton Stralman left Friday night's game with an undisclosed injury, the Rangers recalled Conor Allen from Hartford.

A hard-fought road game ended in a 3-2 loss Friday night against the Capitals, and didn't come without other consequences. Anton Stralman exited the contest with an undisclosed injury in the first period, and did not return. While Strlaman said afterward he felt "OK," he also said he was unsure of his status for Sunday night's game in Tampa Bay, and the Rangers have recalled defenseman Conor Allen from Hartford.

With some offensive upside to his game, Allen leads Hartford Wolfpack defensemen in goals (5), and has been a point-a-game player in his last seven contests (2-5=7).

Allen's call-up could be an insurance policy in case Stralman cannot play. He also has played well of late and could just be getting a crack at the lineup with the roster freeze ending.

There also have been reports that Marc Staal might be ready to play as early as Sunday night against the Lightning. The team could always dress seven defenseman and spread out the minutes with some players nursing injuries, and others coming back from one.