Alain Vigneault sounds off; Brassard on his costly turnover; Scouts watching closely

Bruce Bennett

Today's New York Rangers notes.

The Rangers practiced Tuesday, with the team's next game coming on the road Thursday when they'll travel to take on the bottom-dwellers of the league in the Sabres. It's a game and two points the Rangers desperately need to come away with, as the team continues to flirt with .500, and continues to hold on to the 8th seed in the Eastern Conference by a thread. Here are your morning notes.

It took a long time—28 games to be exact—but Alain Vigneault finally seems to be expressing some anger with the Rangers play. After practice on Tuesday, Vigneault said it's time for the team's stars to start producing. [NY Post] [ESPN NY] [Newsday] [Rangers Rants] And outside of the likes of Ryan McDonagh, and Rick Nash, who would really disagree with this assessment?

When the Rangers and Jets faced off Monday night in Madison Square Garden, a number of scouts were on hand to take notes, including Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli, Flyers assistant GM Ron Hextall, and two representatives from the Ottawa Senators. [Blueshirts Blog] It would be hard to imagine the Rangers and Flyers executing a trade, and with Del Zotto the only Ranger reportedly being shopped, it's curious why Chiarelli would be scouting the Rangers with the Bruins saturated with talented defensemen.

The Rangers should have started Henrik Lundqvist versus the Jets, writes Andrew Gross. [The Record]

Cam Talbot brings a number of things to the Rangers, from a reliable, talented backup, to a motivating factor for Lundqvist. [ESPN NY]

It's time for Vigneault and the Rangers to ride the ever-reliable Lundqvist, write Larry Brooks. [NY Post]

A costly turnover on Monday night by Derick Brassard led to a Jets goal. After practice on Tuesday, Brassard, who has raised his game of late, explained what he saw on that play. [Rangers Rants]