Rangers, Lundqvist beat Sabres; Vigneault calls out defensemen

Kevin Hoffman-USA TODAY Sports

Today's New York Rangers notes.

All season long, the Rangers have danced around the .500 mark. In the final game before the team begins a nine-game homestand, the Rangers picked up a crucial two points on the road against Buffalo, and got back above the hump, improving their record to 15-14. Playing against an NHL-worst Sabres team, the Rangers needed to come away with a result, and they did. Suffice to say, the Rangers have an excellent opportunity to begin to build something good with a long stretch of games at Madison Square Garden.

There's no telling whether not Henrik Lundqvist's contract situation was a distraction, and a factor in his early season play. And there's no telling now that Lundqvist is locked up long-term if that's a weight off his shoulders. But what we do know is one game post-extension, and Lunqdvist reminded everyone that he's the King. Some recaps of the Rangers 3-1, Thursday night win in Buffalo. [Blueshirt Banter] [Daily News] [NY Post] [ESPN NY] [Newsday] [Blueshirts United]

While Alain Vigneault has implored his defensemen to get more involved on offense, the Rangers' new coach said every d-man except Ryan McDonagh hasn't met his expectations. [NY Post] [Rangers Rants] [Daily News]

There's been a lot made of Lundqvist lately, and rightfully so. But maybe one guy who's deserving of a bit more attention is Rick Nash, who scored yet another goal last night, giving him four in his last five games, and five in the nine games since he returned from a concussion. And man, his latest goal was a beauty. [NHL]

At the end of the day, Lundqvist's new deal is what's best for both the team and the goalie. [NY Post]

Carl Hagelin is beginning to show off his speed lately, and just how effective the winger can be. [Blueshirts Blog]

Inside the division: Long live the King. [Blueshirt Banter]

The Rangers offensive inconsistency, and how to fix it. [Blueshirt Banter]