Rangers vs. Bruins: Rangers Survive Scare to Win in Shootout

Jim McIsaac

Despite squandering a 3-1 lead with 1:31 remaining in regulation, the Rangers defeated the Boston Bruins 4-3 in a shootout.

Carl Hagelin scored the game's first goal. After a Boston turnover, Rick Nash made a spectacular move through the Bruins' defense. As he was taken down in front of the net, Nash slid the puck to Hagelin, who fired the puck past Tuukka Rask.

Derek Stepan put the Rangers ahead by two 8:17 into the second period. The Blueshirts' center skated down the left side and beat Rask with a wrist shot. Stepan's tally was his second in the last five games.

Before Stepan's goal, Lundqvist preserved the Rangers 1-0 lead. The toughest stretch was when the Rangers took a too many men penalty 4:10 into the middle frame.

The Bruins peppered Lundqvist with chances, but the reigning Vezina Trophy winner stood tall, denying Boston the equalizer.

Lundqvist was also at his best late in the period when the Blueshirts were on a power play. After Dan Girardi fanned on a pass, Patrice Bergeron had a breakaway opportunity, but 'King Henrik' denied the Bruins' center by making a pad save.

The Rangers extended the lead to three early in the third period. Despite not being able to score on a 5-on-3, Anton Stralman took a shot that trickled through Rask and into the net for his first goal of the season.

Boston ended Lundqvist's shutout bid with 11:16 remaining in regulation. David Krejci beat the Rangers' goaltender with a backhander from just outside the crease.

With Rask at the bench, the Bruins cut the lead to one. After Lundqvist made the initial save on a shot from the point, Nathan Horton picked up the loose puck in front of the net and scored on the rebound.

After Horton's goal -- and with Rask at the bench once again -- Brad Marchand roofed a shot over Lundqvist's shoulder and underneath the crossbar to even the score with 42.7 seconds left.

The teams traded chances in overtime -- the Bruins outshot the Rangers 4-2 in the extra session -- but Lundqvist and Rask were unrelenting.

In the shootout, Nash scored in the second round for the Rangers, and Marchand kept the Bruins alive by beating Lundqvist in the third round.

In the fourth round, Ryan Callahan beat Rask with a shot over the glove to give the Blueshirts their third straight victory.

Lundqvist recorded a season high 37 saves in the victory.