New York Rangers News: Chris Kreider Assigned To The Connecticut Whale

USA TODAY Sports

After being a healthy scratch last night against the New York Islanders, the New York Rangers have assigned rookie Chris Kreider to the Connecticut Whale.

The New York Rangers have announced today that Chris Kreider has been assigned to the Connecticut Whale of the American Hockey League. Kreider was a healthy scratch against the New York Islanders last night, in favor of Brian Boyle. Chris Kreider hasn't been playing bad hockey at all, and I don't think the demotion has anything to do with how he played. It's more or less getting him as much playing as possible, and the best way to get that is down in Connecticut.

It also appears as if J.T. Miller will be sticking with the New York Rangers, which will burn the first year of his entry-level contract. Not to mention with Brian Boyle returning, and playing a solid game, there isn't much room for Kreider to get much time in. Of course, this move is no where close to being permanent, Kreider just needs to get more seasoning under his belt.

Michael Del Zotto developed like this, and took multiple trips down to Connecticut before he finally rounded out his game. Same goes for Carl Hagelin as well. So what I'm trying to say is, don't go in to panic mode just yet. The kid will be back sooner rather than later.