Christian Thomas Called Up, Expected To Play Tonight

Jana Chytilova/Freestyle Photo

The Rangers have called up Christian Thomas.

The New York Rangers have recalled Christian Thomas from the AHL for tonight's game against the Montreal Canadiens. Thomas, one of the Rangers bigger prospects coming out of the OHL, had a rough start to the season, but has really come on the past could of weeks.

In the past 12 games Thomas has 10 points. In the past six games he has seven. On the season he's notched 13 goals and 11 assists for 24 points in 52 games.

The Rangers, obviously trying to find some offense in the absence of Rick Nash, have brought up Thomas with the hopes that his scoring prowess will help the Rangers. I think it's clear that Thomas is going to be an upgrade over Stu Bickel playing in the forward role, and Andrew Gross also assumes that Arron Asham might not be able to suit up tonight either.

The move, in my opinion, makes sense. Thomas can show off his offensive potential with the big club, and the Rangers can continue to get a good, hard look at some of their top prospects (Chris Kreider, J.T. Miller and Thomas) together.

Thoughts on this guys?

SB Nation Featured Video