New York Rangers News: Rangers Place Rick Nash On IR Retroactive To Last Sunday

Eric Hartline-USA TODAY Sports

The New York Rangers have placed Rick Nash on injury reserve, which is retroactive to last Saturday.

According to Pat Leonard of the NY Daily News, the New York Rangers have placed Rick Nash on injury reserve, which is retroactive to last Sunday. But before everyone runs off in a frenzy, let me explain how this actually makes sense. Rick Nash hasn't played since last Sunday, which technically means he's been on the IR this whole time. The NHL rules state that a player must remain on injury reserve for a minimum of seven days before they can return to full duty.

In this case, the Rangers placed Nash on the IR today, which is retroactive to last Saturday. So, in other words, Nash has been on the IR since last Sunday, which means tomorrow fulfill's his seven day IR stint, and makes him eligible to come off as soon as tomorrow. The move was made to create an extra roster spot with Christian Thomas being recalled from the Connecticut Whale earlier this morning.

Many people were getting confused, and thinking Nash would be out even longer. That's not the case, and in fact, he may even be back quicker. We still have no clue what injury he is nursing, so that's pretty much a shot in the dark at this point.

Thoughts?