New York Rangers News: Christian Thomas Sent Back To Connecticut Whale

Bruce Bennett

The New York Rangers have reassigned Christian Thomas to the Connecticut Whale of the American Hockey League.

According to the American Hockey League's transaction wire, the New York Rangers have reassigned Christian Thomas to the Connecticut Whale. Thomas played in his first ever NHL game with the Rangers on Saturday night in Montreal. He received a total of 12:46 of ice time in the game, registered two shots on goal, and was one of the five better Rangers who showed up against the Canadiens.

With Darroll Powe returning to action tomorrow night against the Winnipeg Jets, the Rangers needed to free up a roster spot. Unfortunately, Christian Thomas was the odd-man out in this situation. It would have been great to see him in a few more games before he departed back to the Connecticut Whale. But, getting that taste of NHL experience can actually work in Thomas' favor. He knows what it takes to get to the next level, and I bet he works twice as hard with the Whale, so he can return sooner rather than later.

I wouldn't be surprised if Thomas gets another look later on this season. Thoughts?