New York Rangers Trade: Looking Into The Rangers Acquisitions

Brace Hemmelgarn-US PRESSWIRE

We take a closer look at Darroll Powe and Nick Palmieri.

Yesterday the New York Rangers shocked the world when they traded Mike Rupp to the Minnesota Wild for Darroll Powe and Nick Palmieri. Rupp, who wasn't getting any real playing time under John Tortorella, actually brought back a serviceable return, considering he hasn't played much for the Rangers.

Bryan Reynolds from Hockey Wilderness helped us out a little with a couple of quick paragraphs about the two players.

First, on Powe:

Darroll Powe is a gritty, grinder type player, who does all of the cliche things a fourth liner is supposed to do. He is a natural center that the Wild have been using on the wing, and he is a force to be reckoned with on the PK. He never really fell out of favor with anyone here, coaching staff or fans, but he seems to be a victim of the Wild wanting to add size. Rupp is much bigger than Powe, and lately the Wild's skilled guys have been getting manhandled and simply run over. Powe was a favorite of Coach Mike Yeo last year, and has a never say die work ethic that will quickly translate to the Rangers. Plus, he played in Philly, so you all likely know at least some of what you are getting.

He honestly seems like the perfect fit for the John Tortorella system. The Rangers desperately needed another defensive body (even for when Ryan Callahan returns) and penalty killer. Powe won't be expected to add any real offense, but he is easily another third or fourth line player who can help the Rangers win games.

As if that wasn't enough, the Rangers also landed prospect Palmieri. Here's more on the 23-year-old:

Nick Palmieri came to the Wild from the Devils, when they traded Marek Zidlicky to New Jersey. He is, in a word, temperamental. He would not sign his qualifying offer before the lockout, then after it ended, he signed it, came to "camp" and refused to report to Houston when sent down, saying he thought he belonged up with the Wild. The Wild currently have all but two players on one way contracts, and Palmieri wasn't taking Marco Scandella's spot on the blue line, or rookie phenom Mikael Granlund's spot in the top 6. He pitched a fit, acted like a child, and found his way out of the organization. The kid needs an attitude adjustment, and someone to teach him he isn't entitled to a darn thing. My bet is, you will never see him suit up at Madison Square Garden.

There are certain players who are tagged as having "bad attitudes" but sometimes all they need are a change of scenery. Palmieri certianly wore out his welcome in Minnesota, as Bryan explained above, but who is to say he can't work out in New York?

Leslie Treff -- a very respected name in the Rangers' prospects business -- actually had really nice things to say about him:

Leslie Treff@HFNYRangers

Nick Palmieri is a good young player who, if properly developed could be very useful to the Rangers. Still needs seasoning in AHL.

There is hope here. Maybe all he needs is a change of pace and a chip on his shoulder. He certianly has the latter.

Thoughts, guys?