FanPost

The coaching staff

*Note: I'm playing captain obvious here.

Okay, so this isn't so much about attacking the coaching staff as it is more evaluating them from a fans perspective. Over the years the game of hockey has changed, causing coaching staffs across the league to change their respected styles. For the most part they are still the basics from years past, just evolved for today's game: run and gun, suffocating defense, grinding/checking, or a balanced attack/defend. Either way, our beloved Rangers seem to be lost on who they are.

Torts and Sully are, in their own right, are pretty good coaches. The defense was a force, while the offense was in your face all night. If that failed Hank was on his game and could rob the opposition of a W. The team knew who they were and what their jobs were. The coaching staff had the team buying into their system hook, line, and sinker. Yeah the PP sucked as it has since forever but we did pretty well without it overall. The PK was outstanding, some times i wished we could go on the PK just so we didn't have to suffer through a PP.

Sully ,being in charge of special teams and defense, was doing great with 2/3 of his job. But the death of this team was and still is the PP. Torts is protecting him in saying "the onus is on the coaching staff and players to figure it out". While I do agree, I also believe its time for Sullivan to loss his PP privileges. Our happy-go-lucky head coach also will not hire a second assistant. Leech won't join the team in any capacity due to bad blood between himself and Sather and I don't believe he wants to travel any longer. So ,as of now, we are stuck with Sullivan running the PP.

Moving on to our head coach. Its his job to get the players going for a game. Not necessarily got them pumped up or anything but prepare them for the game. The team played pretty good 5 on 5 last night but there were still some mistakes which is to be expected. Also not having Callahan or Girardi didn't help at all, but a few teams have injuries to key players and have played well. I think Torts needs to focus on the new faces on the team. Get them situated into our system. The players that have been here know their roles and what to do, the new faces need some guiding for a game/practice or two.

He has tried threatening players jobs but with Cally still out and not knowing when Girardi will come back sitting people is crazy. I'm hoping Torts really puts a fire under these guys and lets Krieder and Miller start on the 3rd or even 2nd lines tomorrow night. Maybe shift Miller to 2nd center for a bit and move Step and Boyler down respectively to lower lines. If Cally can play, maybe sitting someone like Step or Boyle will get guys moving. Have Miller center Krieder and Cally on the 2nd and see where it goes. Right now Torts doesn't have many options left.

Okay gentlemen, floor is yours.