Rangers Vs. Islanders: Brian Boyle Is A Healthy Scratch; Ryan Callahan Returns To Action

Anthony Gruppuso-US PRESSWIRE

Following the optional skate this morning, Brian Boyle will be a healthy scratch tonight, and Ryan Callahan will return to action for the New York Rangers.

The New York Rangers conducted their morning skate where Ryan Callahan was present, as well as taking line rushes with Chris Kreider and J.T. Miller on the third line. So it looks as if Callahan proved me wrong, and will be back in the lineup tonight against the New York Islanders. As a result of Callahan returning to the lineup, and his poor play, Brian Boyle will be a healthy scratch for tonight's contest at Madison Square Garden.

On defense, there was a slight change as Stu Bickel will be scratched in favor of Steve Eminger, and Dan Girardi still remains "day to do" with what is believed to be a foot/ankle injury. Girardi was on the ice this morning, but left shortly after when the team began their drills.The Rangers definitely felt the absence of Girardi on defense last game against the Devils, and they likely will feel it again tonight. Hopefully he's back soon.

As far as Ryan Callahan coming back, it will be a huge improvement up front, and the Rangers will have some of their grit back. As I said before, he'll be paired with J.T. Miller, and Chris Kreider, who were easily the Rangers best two forwards against the Devils. I'm expecting them to get a ton of playing time tonight.