New York Rangers News: Rangers Waive Jeff Halpern

USA TODAY Sports

The Rangers have waived Jeff Halpern.

In a very surprising bit of news the New York Rangers have placed Jeff Halpern on waivers.

Halpern, who was a free agent acquisition this past off season by Glen Sather, was supposed to be a fourth line player who would add some depth and be a monster in the faceoff circle. Halpern has been great at the dot - he's won 57% this year - but he hasn't exactly been the player the Rangers were expecting when they brought him in.

He's only averaging nine minutes a game, has one assist in 30 games and seems to have fallen out of favor with John Tortorella. Think about this for a second: The Rangers have kept Matt Gilroy and Stu Bickel on the roster, and chose to waive Halpern.

That speaks volumes to me about where he sits on the depth chart.

Does this mean another move is coming? Maybe, I'm not sure. What it says right now is that J.T. Miller is absolutely not going anywhere -- not that he should -- and that you can expect to keep seeing Chris Kreider night in and night out, which isn't a bad thing.

Thoughts, guys?