Rangers Vs. Capitals Preview: Rangers Go For Season Sweep Over Capitals

Bruce Bennett

The New York Rangers will look to get back to their winning ways, and complete the season sweep over the Washington Capitals.

The New York Rangers will look to get back into the win column tonight, and complete the season sweep over the Washington Capitals tonight at Madison Square Garden. The Rangers are coming off of a recent loss to the Florida Panthers, where they had out shot them with well over 40 shots, but dropped the game 3-1. Consistency has been a major issue for the New York Rangers this season, as they seems to always win a few, which is followed by losses. Tonight is a game the Rangers can't afford to let slip away, as they are once again, on the outside looking in, regarding the playoff race.

VS.

Washington Capitals (14-16-1) vs New York Rangers (15-13-2)
Madison Square Garden - New York, NY - 7:00 PM
Television: MSG | Radio: ESPN NY 98.7
Opponent's Blog: Japers' Rink | Tickets: New York Rangers Tickets

Some Quick Thoughts:

  • Kris Newbury was recalled from the Connecticut Whale yesterday afternoon, and is expected to be in the lineup tonight. Newbury and Chris Kreider shared some pretty good chemistry down in Connecticut, and it's no surprise that they will likely play on a line together against the Washington Capitals.
  • J.T. Miller is questionable for tonight's game, as he is dealing with a wrist injury that he suffered in the second period against the Florida Panthers. He apparently jammed his wrist, and left practice early yesterday to receive some treatment. If Miller is unable to go tonight, Expect that Arron Asham will take his spot in the lineup.
  • A starting goaltender hasn't been named just yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Henrik Lundqvist get the start tonight. But, I also wouldn't be surprised to see Martin Biron tonight either. John Tortorella likes to switch things up when it's going bad, so we'll see what happens.

Projected Lineup:

Rick Nash - Brad Richards - Marian Gaborik
Carl Hagelin - Derek Stepan - Ryan Callahan
Chris Kreider - Kris Newbury - J.T. Miller
Taylor Pyatt - Brian Boyle - Darroll Powe

Ryan McDonagh - Dan Girardi
Anton Stralman - Michael Del Zotto
Steve Eminger - Roman Hamrlik

Henrik Lundqvist
Martin Biron

Scratches: Arron Asham (healthy), Stu Bickel (healthy), Matt Gilroy (healthy), Marc Staal (eye).