Mats Zuccarello Has Been Released From His KHL Contract

Bruce Bennett

The New York Rangers and Mats Zuccarello have agreed upon a brand new contract. Zuccarello has been released from his KHL contract, and will be on his way to New York later this week.

According to Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News, Mats Zuccarello's representatives have received the necessary paperwork which will release Mats Zuccarello from his team Metallurg Magnitogorsk of the KHL. His representation are still working through immigration issues, but those are expected to be settled sooner rather than later. The deal was a reported one-way, one-year deal which Zuccarello sought after in order to return to the New York Rangers.

There still hasn't been any monetary terms released about the deal, but we'll likely get those before Zuccarello arrives in New York, which is likely sometime next week. Either way, the Rangers could really use a guy like Zuccarello to jump start their offense. With him added to the mix, the forward corp now would look as follows:

Carl Hagelin - Derek Stepan - Rick Nash
Mats Zuccarello - Brad Richards - Marian Gaborik
Chris Kreider - J.T. Miller - Ryan Callahan
Taylor Pyatt - Brian Boyle - Arron Asham

Depth is a good issue to have, and with this latest move, that's exactly what the Rangers will have. You still have guys like Darroll Powe, and Kris Newbury who can jump into the mix as well. Overally, this is a good move by the Rangers, and I'm kind of excited to see how this all works out.

SB Nation Featured Video