Rangers vs. Flyers Preview: Road Trip Starts Off With Big Divisional Game Against Philadelphia

Eric Hartline-USA TODAY Sports

The New York Rangers will kick off their three game road trip tonight with a game against their Atlantic Division rivals.

The New York Rangers will kick off their three game road trip tonight with a quick stop in Philadelphia to take on the Philadelphia Flyers. While the Flyers may be sitting in 13th place in the Eastern Conference, the playoff race is actually much closer than a lot of people release. Only six points separates the 8th seed, and the 14th seed in the Eastern Conference, and the Rangers are a team who is currently on the bubble, and clinging to the eight seed.

Starting off the road trip on the right foot can do wonders for this team, considering they have been lacking confidence throughout this entire season. All it takes is a few wins, and the Rangers can vault right into the thick of the playoff race with the rest of the teams. Start off the right foot tonight, and we're already one step in the door.

VS.

New York Rangers (15-13-3) vs Philadelphia Flyers (13-16-2)
Wells Fargo Center - Philadelphia, PA - 7:30 PM
Television: NBC Sports Network, MSG, CSN Philly, TSN | Radio: ESPN NY 98.7
Opponent's Blog: Broad Street Hockey| Tickets: New York Rangers Tickets

Some Quick Thoughts:

  • J.T. Miller sat out last game with an apparent wrist injury, and is still considered a game time decision for tonight's game. If Miller does indeed play tonight, someone will have to be a healthy scratch. Unfortunately, it appears as if Taylor Pyatt would be the odd-man out, with Brian Boyle's faceoff being the driving force behind that decision.
  • Henrik Lundqvist will get his eight straight start tonight for the New York Rangers, and Ilya Bryzgalov is expected to make his 30th start of this regular season.

Projected Lineup:

Rick Nash - Brad Richards - Marian Gaborik
Carl Hagelin - Derek Stepan - Ryan Callahan
J.T. Miller - Brian Boyle - Chris Kreider
Darroll Powe - Kris Newbury - Arron Asham

Ryan McDonagh - Dan Girardi
Anton Stralman - Michael Del Zotto
Steve Eminger - Roman Hamrlik

Henrik Lundqvist
Martin Biron

Scratches: Matt Gilroy (healthy), Marc Staal (eye), Taylor Pyatt (healthy).

SB Nation Featured Video