New York Rangers Rumors: College Free Agent Conor Allen Expected To Sign With Rangers

We don't have any pictures of Conor Allen, so enjoy this one of former Ranger, Tim Erixon. - Bruce Bennett

There are unconfirmed reports stating that Conor Allen will sign an entry-level contract with the New York Rangers

According to the Western College Hockey Blog, UMass-Amherst junior defenseman, Conor Allen, is expected to sign an entry-level contract with the New York Rangers in the next couple of days. Once signed, Allen is expected to join the Connecticut Whale of the American Hockey League for the remainder of the season on an amateur tryout contract.

The New York Rangers and Nashville Predators were the supposed front runners for Allen.

Jyri Niemi has been recently assigned to the Greenville Road Warriors in order to make room for the anticipated arrival of Allen. There is a chance that Allen could head down to Connecticut, and join the Whale for their weekend match up against the Springfield Falcons.

Allen appeared in 33 games with UMass-Amherst Minutemen this season, where he tallied five goals, and added on 14 assists as well. He possesses terrific vision up the ice, and is said to be a major asset on a teams power play. He's is more of an offensive minded defenseman, but he also has the ability to use his 6-foot-1 frame to throw crushing body checks.

This is definitely a great move by the New York Rangers, as their defensive depth has been cut short with some injuries, and the recent departure of Tim Erixon. Hopefully these reports hold true.