FanPost

Does Tortorella's system work?

Hello everyone! I just wanted to do a quick write up on some thoughts I've had recently. A big one that's been on my mind is whether or not John Tortorella fits with the Rangers any longer. Now don't get me wrong, I am far from those fools jumping up and down saying the sky will fall if we don't get rid of him. I am a huge Torts fan, and im not a panicky fan. But this season has raised some questions. I look back into last season, and I see an effective, blue collar, shot blocking, defense first system in place good enough for first in the East. I loved it. But when the playoffs rolled around, and two 7 games series and an elimination from Jersey later, I assumed the Rangers had burned themselves out. I never questioned the fact that maybe our "system" let us down. Fast forward to two nights ago against Ottawa. No team can complain of injuries compared to them. Like, ever. In any sport, ever. Yet these guys looked so much more solid than the almost totally healthy Rangers. They forechecked better. They passed better. They just looked to outskate our boys. Why? Maybe its because that coach they have that looks like Colonel Sanders there knows what he's doing. And then I think back, the Devils were garbage compared to the Rangers last year. Even with Parise. Why are the Devils always so good no matter who they have on paper? Then I think, coaching. Maybe Deboer honestly out-coached Tortorella. Maybe. Its become apparent to me that Tortorella's system only works when all cylinders are firing, not unlike communism. He needs a training camp, a healthy defensive corps, and lots of depth. In a shortened season, it clearly doesn't work. Not like Colonel Sanders in Ottawa (sorry don't know his real name and its funnier this way) who can have devastating after devastating injury, and still outplay an "elite" team like the Rangers. One last thing is that I think Tort's system doesn't allow enough breakouts and does not emphasis enough on forechecking. Look at the Bruins, that team is garbage on paper but they forecheck so much they never get scored on. Guess what that is, coaching. Well that's enough of my rants, what do you guys think? And watch the Rangers make an ass out of me by winning the rest of their games this season after I type this.