New York Rangers News: New York Rangers Sign Josh Nicholls

Claus Andersen

Several reports are indicating that the New York Rangers have signed free agent Josh Nicholls to a contract.

According to Seth Rothman of Inside Hockey, the New York Rangers have confirmed via a media release that they have signed free agent forward Josh Nicholls. Nicholls was a 2010 7th-round draft pick of the Toronto Maple Leafs, but his rights with the Leafs has since expired. Here's a little known fact from our friends over at Pension Plan Puppets, regarding the Maple Leafs and Nicholls:

I can confirm that the Leafs let his rights expire but other than that, haven't seen anything. [Nicholls] had a bad knee injury and he was a really late pick. Not worth an ELC [from the Leafs] I guess.

So, going off of that quote, Nicholls is a guy that has a bad reputation with injuries, and is more or less a late round pick that hasn't become anything special. Nicholls is also a teammate of current Rangers prospect Shane McColgan, and is currently in his fifth season with the Saskatoon Blades of the Western Hockey League.