Patrick Kaleta Suspension: Kaleta Receives Five Game Suspension For Hit On Brad Richards

USA TODAY Sports

Patrick Kaleta has been suspended the maximum for an in-person hearing at five games.

According to the National Hockey League Department of Player Safety, Patrick Kaleta has been suspended the maximum for an in-person hearing at five games. Kaleta received a five minute major accompanied by a game misconduct at 3:28 of the third period last night against the New York Rangers. His vicious cross check sent Brad Richards flying head first into the boards, and Richards remained on the ice for several minutes there after.

It was a completely reckless act and nothing that Richards did contributed to or warranted that hit from behind. Under the new collective bargaining agreement, Patrick Kaleta is viewed as a repeat offender, and will forfeit a total of $75,219.21 while missing five games during his suspension.

With those five games, that means Kaleta will be held out of the game on March 12, when the New York Rangers head into Buffalo for their rematch with the Sabres. The NHL avoided what could have been an ugly reunion for Kaleta and the Rangers.

Thoughts?