New York Rangers Rumors: Rangers And Mats Zuccarello Talking

Paul Bereswill

The Rangers have already spoken to Mats Zuccarello.

According to the always fantastic Andrew Gross the New York Rangers and Mats Zuccarello have already engaged in discussions about bringing the former Ranger back to Broadway.

From Gross' article:

"We have already talked to Glen about it," agent Don Meehan said in an e-mail to The Record, referring to GM Glen Sather. "We will wait to hear from him."

The Rangers have been looking for more offensive depth since the beginning of the season, and despite the team starting to come together, that's never a bad thing to have. The Rangers missed the boat on Zach Boychuk again - although there's no proof that they were even interested - and they can still use a boost for the power play even though it's been clicking a little better the past few games.

Like I've said, in this lockout-shortened season you can never have enough depth. Zuccarello provides that depth for the Rangers. He can be a boost for the power play, and he's another guy who can make things happen. If the Rangers do bring in Zuccarello expectations should be nothing more than a more offensive bottom-six guy. But the Rangers don't have too many of those as it is.

Zuccarello can now be signed since his team was eliminated from the KHL playoffs.

Thoughts?