Roman Hamrlik Waivers: New York Rangers Claim Hamrlik

USA TODAY Sports

The New York Rangers have claimed Roman Hamrlik off of waivers from the Washington Capitals.

According to Bob McKenzie of TSN, the New York Rangers have claimed defenseman, Roman Hamrlik, off of waivers from the Washington Capitals. Hamrlik has been on the outside looking in for the Capitals this season, as he has only appeared in four of the team's 20 games thus far.

There is some speculation that this waiver claim has a lot to due with Marc Staal going down with a supposed eye injury last night. However, as Pierre LeBrun notes, the Rangers had discussions prior to Staal's injury about the possibility of claiming Hamrlik. So, before everyone starts to worry about Staal's injury concerns, you can breathe a little easier knowing this wasn't a move directly linked to him.

Either way, the Rangers were always on the lookout for another defenseman, whether it was via trade or the waiver wire. A ton of depth is a very good problem to have, and the Rangers have that exact problem right now.

Thoughts?