FanPost

Playoffs?  Maybe?

Hi All, just wanted to lay out the remaining season as it stands now and why the Rangers may or may not make the playoffs.

Right now they stand at 12-9-2, or 26 pts. That leaves 25 games left, 9 at home and 16 away. Let's assume that 55 points gets them in. That would mean that they need 29 pts out of the remaining 25 games. Here is a breakdown of those games by team (current conf ranking in brackets):

Pens (2) - 3 games, Car (3) - 3, Habs (4) - 1, Leafs (5) - 2, Sens (6) - 1, NJ (7) - 3, Jets (8) - 2, Isles (9) - 1, Philly (10) - 2, Caps (11) - 2, Buff (13) - 2, FL (14) - 3.

Home games - Car, FL (2), Caps, Jets, Pens, Leafs, NJ (2).

Away games - Pens (2), Car (2), Habs, Leafs, Sens, NJ, Jets, Isles, Philly (2), Caps, Buff (2), FL.

Back to backs - Mar 18, 19; Apr 5, 6; Apr 18,19. The 2nd games are all on the road at NJ, Car, and Buff respectively.

So where are the 29 pts coming from? Let's assume they go 6-3 at home, that's 12 pts. Now let's assume they lose the Habs' game, one Pens' road game, and the 3 back end games of the back to backs. That's 5 losses out of the 16 remaining road games. So out of 11 road games left, they need 17 pts. 8 or 9 wins out of 11? Wow, that's tough on the road and why the Rangers have dug themselves a hole by not winning their home games early in the year.

Thoughts?