NHL Trade Rumors: New York Rangers Interested In Ryane Clowe?

Thearon W. Henderson

Are the Rangers in on Clowe?

According to Bob McKenzie, the New York Rangers are one of the teams currently in the mix for San Jose Sharks forward Ryane Clowe. Clowe, has 11 assists and no goals in 28 games this season.

Before you all begin hurling yourselves out the nearest window, the Rangers, Vancouver Canucks and Montreal Canadiens are all reported to be "interested," but McKenzie makes it clear he thinks the Philadelphia Flyers and Minnesota Wild are the clean-cut favorites.

You've heard it a lot over the past couple of weeks, but the market is tight right now. Nothing - and I mean nothing - proves that more than the heavy interest in Clowe from many teams right now. There are whispers that he's still injured, and even if that's true the "0" in the goals column stands out enough as it is.

Would he be a major upgrade to the Rangers bottom six? Absolutely, it's not even a question. But the cost to get Clowe would simply be too high for the Rangers to be active partners for this deal. Plus, the Rangers should not be buying rentals at this deadline. If anything, the team should be looking for players who can help them this year and in the future. Clowe simply doesn't fit that bill.

Think about this for a second: The Flyers are apparently the favorites to land Clowe. The price heading the other way (according to reports) is Sean Couturier. Yeah, no thanks.

Supposedly a deal can be done today, although it's now all but confirmed that Clowe will be moved by the deadline.

Let's just hope the move isn't to New York.