Rangers Vs. Islanders Preview: This Game Is Going To Be A Pretty Big One

Bruce Bennett

The New York Rangers and New York Islanders will faceoff in the first meaningful game between these two teams since 2006. Playoff implications are on the line.

Well there's no surprise here. This game is going to be a big game for the New York Rangers, and New York Islanders, who are both fighting for playoff spots. This is the first meaningful game between these two crosstown rivals since late in 2006. The New York Rangers are still clinging to the eighth and final playoff spot, with a game in hand on the Islanders. However, they do not currently possess the ROW (regulation and overtime wins) tiebreaker with them, in the event that the Rangers get the win tonight.

Winnipeg is also on their tail, but currently has two more games played than the Rangers, and they can make up the ground if they do pass them by. But like everyone has said, this is a big, big, big game, with two huge points on the line tonight. I hope everyone is ready, we are.

VS.

New York Rangers (20-16-4) vs New York Islanders (21-16-4)
Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum - Uniondale, NY - 7:00 PM
Television: MSG | Radio: ESPN NY 98.7
Opponent's Blog: Lighthouse Hockey | Tickets: New York Rangers Tickets

Some Quick Thoughts:

  • The New York Rangers are expected to go with the same lineup, which means that Henrik Lundqvist will be getting the start in between the pipes. The New York Islanders are also expected to start Evgeni Nabokov tonight, and roll with their same lineup as well.
  • Derick Brassard, Ryane Clowe, and John Moore will all get a taste of this crosstown rivalry for the first time tonight. Ryane Clowe sounded pretty amped up with his morning skate quotes, and I'm sure everyone else is just as excited. This game will be just like a playoff game, and it'll be a good taste of things to come.

Projected Lineup:

Rick Nash - Brad Richards - Ryan Callahan
Mats Zuccarello - Derek Stepan - Ryane Clowe
Carl Hagelin - Derick Brassard - Brian Boyle
Arron Asham - Darroll Powe - Taylor Pyatt

Ryan McDonagh - Dan Girardi
Anton Stralman - Michael Del Zotto
Steve Eminger - John Moore

Henrik Lundqvist
Martin Biron

Scratches: Matt Gilroy (healthy), Marc Staal (eye), J.T. Miller (wrist), Roman Hamrlik (healthy)