2014 NHL Winter Classic: New York Rangers Get Two Outdoor Games Next Season

Patrick McDermott

The Rangers will play both the Islanders and the Devils at Yankee Stadium next year according to reports.

According to reports, there will be six (yes, six) Winter Classic Outdoor games next year. The New York Rangers will be playing in two of them.

From Yahoo:

  • Ducks vs. Kings at Dodger Stadium, Jan. 25
  • Devils vs. Rangers at Yankee Stadium, Jan. 26
  • Islanders vs. Rangers at Yankee Stadium, Jan 29
  • Penguins at Blackhawks, Soldier Field, March 1
  • Senators at Canucks, BC Place, March 2
  • Yes, the New York Rangers will be in not only one, but two outdoor games in the week leading up to Super Bowl XLVIII, which will be held Feb. 2 at Met Life Stadium in New Jersey.

I'm not sure how much of a role the Super Bowl played in this decision, but this is really good news for the Rangers. There have been rumors that the NHL was interested in bringing the Winter Classic to Yankee Stadium previously, but the Rangers were reluctant to play it against the Islanders (which was the original rumor) because they wanted it to be a true home game.

Well, they sort of got their wish with the Devils, but getting two games is still a huge win. Not shocking to see the Blackhawks and Penguins involved, either.

We'll go into more detail later, but for now, thoughts?