FanPost

Derek Stepan

Hey guys! I have not been on here in a quite a while. I still read everything just haven't been commenting. I just wanted to talk about Derek Stepan for a little bit and bring up some points. First off other then Rick Nash he's been our best foward. One could make the argument he has been our best. Yes, he and Nasher have the point totals but Step does a lot more then just rack up points. He and Callahan have made for a pretty good PK unit out there. There have been many times they start out on the PK and he wins the faceoff to McDonagh who clears it and bam 20-25 seconds is already killed. He also blocks some shots as well. He is very aware in his own zone which goes unnoticed sometimes. I think Sam and Joe brought it up last night when there was a pass thrown in front and he intercepted it and took behind the net. I mean I think the pass was intended for Olli Jokinen so nothing much would have happened but still.

Now making the case that he is a number one center. Obviously right now he is our top center but a lot of people think that it is kind of by default. After all it's been easier to watch Rosie O'Donnell do a strip tease then watch Brad Richards play. Stepan right now ranks twenty third among centers in points. There's thirty teams in the league. Therefore he is better then at least seven other teams top centers in terms of points. He is also a +15 on a team who has a -4 goal differential. And for the record Stepan has just as many points as Bobby Ryan. So for those who were saying that the Rangers should have packaged Stepan, Del Zotto, and 1 rounder or something like that for Bobby Ryan, well all I can say is, really? Also, his faceoff percentage still is not great, 47.7% but it is a tremendous improvement since he started. I think he was at 38% his rookie year. I'm interested too see what kind of contract he gets next year. Sather will make sure he gets the right amount, maybe a Callahan type deal. So I just wanted to get that out there about Step, he will be crucial to us getting in the playoffs and in conclusion I hope Hoggo reads this. Thanks guys.