Breaking News: Marian Gaborik Traded To Columbus Blue Jackets

Elsa

The New York Rangers have traded Marian Gaborik to the Columbus Blue Jackets, pending a trade call.

According to Darren Dreger on TSN, the New York Rangers have traded Marian Gaborik, Blake Parlett, and Steven Delisle to the Columbus Blue Jackets in exchange for Derick Brassard, Derek Dorsett, John Moore, and a 2013 6th-round draft pick. Marian Gaborik has agreed to waive his no trade clause, but the paperwork still needs to be worked out.

While the Rangers lose a perennial 40-goal scorer in Marian Gaborik, they get back three young players that can easily help the Rangers depth issues. Derek Brassard will help provide some depth done the middle, and goes to the gritty areas of the ice. Derek Dorsett is a tough guy that will help the Rangers with their grit, and John Moore is an NHL ready defenseman at the age of 22.

The only downside of this deal is that Dorsett is out the rest of the season with a fractured clavicle, and will not be getting any time with the Rangers. Overall, this is solid return for Marian Gaborik, and it also sheds some salary cap to give the Rangers some flexibility over the summer. Who knows, maybe Ryane Clowe finally gets that extension.

We'll have a more in-depth post regarding this later.