Marc Staal Injury: Marc Staal Returns To The Ice, Still No Timetable For Return

USA TODAY Sports

Marc Staal met with the New York media the first time since suffering a gruesome eye injury, and skated for his second straight day.

In a bit of surprising news, Marc Staal returned to the ice today, and met with the New York media after his skate at the MSG Training Center. This was the first time Staal had met face-to-face with the media since going down with his gruesome eye injury back on March 5th. Staal said that his eye is still not 100% healed, but there is a chance that he could play even though it is not fully back to normal.

"It’s an adjustment, but there are a lot of guys who play without perfect vision in one eye. I think it will be a situation of being out there and letting your more powerful eye take over."

According to Nick Kypreos of Sportsnet, Staal revealed that he was medically cleared to skate again on his own, and has been doing so since Monday morning. It was also noted that Staal didn't take a light skate today, and really pushed himself in order to get back to the conditioning level that he wants to be at. Although there is still no timetable for his return, the belief is that Staal will try and be ready right before the end of the regular season, or around the time playoffs begin.

"Obviously you want to be back as soon as you can. For me, I want to get in the best shape possible and monitor the eye as we go and take it one step at a time. There's no timeline or date when I'm expecting to be back."