Marc Staal Injury: Staal Not Playing In Game 5

Bruce Bennett

Marc Staal is officially out for Game 5.

New York Rangers defenseman Marc Staal took part in a skate this morning to continue to work on his conditioning, but Staal told reporters that he would not be playing tonight in the Rangers Game 5 matchup with the Washington Capitals.

From Andrew Gross:

  1. Andrew Gross@AGrossRecord

    Marc Staal says he's not sure if he'll be able to play at all again in this series.

    • Andrew Gross@AGrossRecord
    • Staal says he can't play tonight, couldn't play Game 4. Won't get into specifics but says it's a day to day thing.

    Staal played in Game 3 of the series and when he wasn't playing in Game 4 it was a shock. Steve Eminger replaced Staal in Game 4 and will likely replace him again tonight.

    The Rangers have been without Staal since he took a puck to his eye in a horrific injury against the Philadelphia Flyers. Staal has been able to skate but aside from "blurred vision" he won't go into detail about the injury, the setback or any other problems.

    So, not unexpected news. But still not good news.

    Thoughts?