BREAKING: John Tortorella Fired By The New York Rangers

Rick Stewart

The New York Rangers have relieved John Tortorella of his head coaching duties.

According to Katie Strang of ESPN New York, the New York Rangers have relieved John Tortorella of his coaching duties. This news comes just four days after the Rangers were eliminated in five games by the Boston Bruins in the Eastern Conference Semifinals. While this is shocking to say the least, I'm sure the Rangers exit interviews played a large role in management's decision.

While all of this "fire Tortorella" speculation as been swirling, never in a million years would I have thought it'd come this early. Either way, the John Tortorella ship as officially sailed in Ranger land, and the next chapter is set to begin. The next move by the Rangers could be very telling.

There is already speculation among the media that Lindy Ruff is now the leading candidate for the coaching job. As John Vogl points out, the New York Rangers are at the top of Ruff's list of destinations, and he could very well get his wish. Renaud Lavoie also says that former Vancouver Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault is also a strong candidate to take over the position.

Until that time comes however, there really is no predicting how this whole thing will pan out.

Thoughts?