FanPost

NY Rangers...why is it so hard ?

Of all the teams I have rooted for over the years, I find that the Rangers seem to face the steepest climb to a championship...and I'm a Mets fan.

I have thought about this for a long time and have at least one conclusion on contributing factors.

Forget Bright Lights, Big City (J Reed) or bad ownership...we have too many heated rivalries (a blessing and a curse).

The Rangers are arguably the greatest rival for a bunch of teams.

Who is the Islanders biggest rival ? Devils, Flyers ? Caps seem to be developing a nice Ranger loathing...Buffalo loves nothing better than to beat their downstate rival. Throw in some original six history, didn't take much to stoke old Bruin emotions and the list gets pretty deep. Now let's bring some western teams into the Garden and see if they get excited.

All in all Rangers don't get a lot of games where other teams have off nights. It all makes for great hockey but the bar is a little higher and demands excellence. May be why older players tend to deteriorate faster in NY...or is that just my imagination ?

All in all not as easy as it looked...right Glen ?