Rangers Vs Capitals Game 2 Preview: Rangers Need Big Rebound Game This Afternoon

Greg Fiume

The New York Rangers will look to rebound this afternoon as they look to even up the series with the Washington Capitals.

After dropping Game 1 by a scored of 3-1, the New York Rangers are looking to even up the series at one this afternoon. The Rangers special team unit basically shot them straight out of the sky on Thursday, as they failed on numerous power play opportunities, including a 5-on-3. They also didn't do themselves any favors on the other end as they forced the penalty kill united to be perfect numerous times, which didn't really happen.

They were very undisciplined all night long, which eventually cost them the game on the scoreboard. The Rangers also didn't spent enough time in the Capitals zone to generate much offense in front of Braden Holtby. With some possible reinforcements on the way, the Rangers need to take full advantage of this opportunity.

VS.

New York Rangers (#6 Seed) vs Washington Capitals (#3 Seed)
Series Score: 1-0 WSH
Verizon Center - Washington, DC - 7:30 PM
Television: NBC, RDS, TSN | Radio: ESPN NY 98.7
Opponent's Blog: Japers' Rink | Tickets: New York Rangers Playoff Tickets

Some Quick Thoughts:

  • Ryane Clowe could possibly suit up today for the New York Rangers, as he didn't completely rule out a return after speaking with the media yesterday morning. He said that conditioning wouldn't be an issue for him, so as soon as he is ready to go, he'll likely be back in the lineup.
  • Derek Dorsett also skated in a full contact jersey for the first time since being traded to the Rangers at the trade deadline. He has been skating for the last few weeks, so he's likely on the bring of returning as well, which would be pretty huge.

Projected Lineup:

Carl Hagelin - Derek Stepan - Ryan Callahan
Rick Nash - Brad Richards - Mats Zuccarello
Taylor Pyatt - Derick Brassard - Chris Kreider
Darroll Powe - Kris Newbury - Arron Asham/Micheal Haley

Ryan McDonagh - Dan Girardi
Anton Stralman - Michael Del Zotto
Steve Eminger - John Moore

Henrik Lundqvist
Martin Biron

Scratches: Marc Staal (upper-body), Derek Dorsett (upper-body), Brian Boyle (lower-body), Ryane Clowe (upper-body/lower-body?), Matt Gilroy (healthy), Roman Hamrlik (healthy),