New York Rangers Prospect News: Oscar Lindberg Included On Sweden's Preliminary Roster For Sochi

Tom Szczerbowski

New York Rangers prospect, Oscar Lindberg, has been named to Team Sweden's preliminary 35-man roster for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.

New York Rangers prospect Oscar Lindberg has been named alongside Henrik Lundqvist and Carl Hagelin in Sweden’s preliminary 35-man squad for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi. Regardless of whether he makes the final cut or not, the fact that Lindberg has been picked for an Olympic squad by coach Pär Mårts is testament to the development and fine form he has shown this season for SEL champions Skellefteå and his country.

Lindberg has proved capable of ramping up his play at key times, something his playoff scoring record and recent MVP title will attest to. Lindberg’s play at the recent World Championships in Stockholm, particularly his PK effort against Canada’s much-vaunted powerplay and his tough face-off assignments throughout the tournament showed that he can compete on the international stage.

If he can earn a spot on the Rangers roster at some point this fall and put his two-way game to use consistently in the bottom-six, then who knows, maybe he will book a ticket to Sochi next year. And even if he doesn’t, it’s a great piece of recognition.