New York Rangers Coaching News: John Stevens and Mark Messier Latest To Interviewed By Rangers

Bruce Bennett

Mark Messier confirmed that he has interviewed for the Rangers head coaching position, and John Stevens is expected to be interviewed later today.

With rumors surrounding the New York Rangers vacant head coaching position out in full force today, it wouldn't be right unless more reports were piled on top of the rest. According to both Dan Rosen, and Pat Leonard, Mark Messier has confirmed that he interviewed with the Rangers for their head coaching position. Messier wouldn't go into any further details, other than confirming his interest.

While talking with Rosen of NHL.com, Messier shared a little insight on his "dream job" behind the Rangers bench.

"That was one thing I wanted to have happen, to go through the process like everybody else and to experience that, and to give Glen the opportunity to make a decision that he feels comfortable with. We had our scouts meetings and I've had conversations with Glen, and like anybody that would be interested in coaching, obviously the Rangers would be a dream come true for a lot of coaches."

In addition to Messier, John Stevens is also expected to interview with the Rangers at some point in the near future. According to a report from the LA Times, the Rangers have received permission from the Los Angeles Kings in order to speak with Stevens. However, there wasn't any confirmation when his interview with the Rangers is expected to happen, or if it has already occurred.

Steven's has also been drawing a vast amount of interest from the Vancouver Canucks, and is considered a favorite, after he interviewed with them a few days ago. With all of these news surrounding the Rangers head coaching search starting to heat up, you have to expect that there is some sort of decision coming in the near future.