New York Rangers News: Alain Vigneault Has Turned Down The Dallas Stars

Jeff Gross

Alain Vigneault has told the Dallas Stars that he no longer wants to be considered for their head coaching position. Next stop, Broadway?

According to Aaron Ward of TSN, Alain Vigneault has notified the Dallas Stars that he will no longer be pursuing their head coaching position. After all of the rumors that were surrounding the New York Rangers earlier this afternoon, it seems as if they have finally found their guy. With Vigneault out of the race with the Dallas Stars, it appears as if he is a virtual lock, and could be on his way to Broadway sooner rather than later.

Larry Brooks confirmed shortly after that Vigneault currently has the inside track to land the head coaching gig, and that a contract offer could be forthcoming. Everything seems to be taking shape rather quickly after Alain Vigneault was seen boarding a flight to New York City earlier this morning. That report was later confirmed by Bob McKenzie, as he said Vigneault was meeting with the Rangers ownership for the afternoon.

That's all we've heard for now, but we will continue to update the situation as it unfolds.

Thoughts?

UPDATE 12:14 AM:

Darren Dreger tweeted outthat the Dallas Stars had a pretty substantial offer on the table for Alain Vigneault. It is believed that his meeting earlier today with the Rangers ownership could have closed the deal. While nothing is confirmed at this point, all signs are pointing towards Vigneault becoming the next head coach of the New York Rangers.